What could be better than sculpting a nice six-pack? The great thing is you don’t need a gym to do it. These exercises are convenient, challenging, and most of all are done in the luxury of your own home! Training your abs is more than just having a lean physique – it’s about improving your overall health, posture, stability, and balance.
These core exercises are so great they can help reduce sports-related injuries you might have, such as lower back pain. How does that work? Don’t worry, I’ll tell you. The stronger your core is the easier it is to perform major exercises such as the squat or deadlift.
Listed below are a few ab workouts you can perform at home, at work, or anywhere really! Skip the gym and let’s get going!
We have laid out step-by-step instructions on how to adequately execute these moves. By doing 2 to 3 sets of each of these core workouts, you will start to see a massive difference in just a few weeks’ time!
Core Movement Routine
Here are some of the six-pack workouts for you to try:
This is one of the easiest exercises to sculpt your core. Here’s what you need to do:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle. Make sure to keep your feet off the ground.
- Keep your knees bent while extending one foot to touch the floor, then return to the starting position.
- Do the same step again, but use your left leg this time.
- Repeat the steps on each leg ten times each or a total of 20 repetitions.
The next ab workout to perform is the leg lower or leg lifts. To do this:
- Start with your legs placed at a 90-degree angle overhead.
- Lower your legs four to five inches while letting them hover in the air.
- Hold this position for around 5 – 10 seconds.
- Return to your first position (the 90-degree angle) and repeat the exercise 10 times (or ten reps).
Another core workout to perform is the Russian Twist. Here’s how to do this:
- First, sit up straight with your knees bent, and your feet placed right in front of you.
- Next, lift your feet around 1 foot off the ground and engage your core.
- Twist your entire upper body on one side while keeping your legs right in front of you.
- Repeat this step but this time, face the other side.
- Do about ten reps on each side or a total of 20 reps.
Here is how you can do a side plank with dips:
- First, place one elbow directly under your body and press yourself up (going into a side plank position).
- Then, lower your hips, so you are hovering below the ground.
- Use your core to return to your starting position.
- Repeat the exercise for ten reps. Then you switch sides.
- Do a total of 20 reps (or ten reps on each side)
§ Standing Oblique Crunches
Here’s how to perform this move to get a shredded six-pack:
- Stand up straight with your bents, elbows facing down.
- Next, lower your arms and bring your right knee to meet your elbow.
- Repeat this on the same side for ten reps, then switch legs.
- Do a total of 20 reps (or ten reps on each side)
§ Lying Oblique Crunch
This one is fun to do!
- First, lay on the floor with your feet wide apart.
- Then, place your hands behind your head and lower your upper body towards one knee.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Repeat for ten times on each side for a total of 20 repetitions.
The Burn is real, Here is how to execute this move:
- First, lie on your back. Put your hands behind your head. Keep your knees curled into your chest.
- Then, extend your legs to hover about a foot above the ground.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Return to the starting position. Do the exercise ten times for each leg.
To do the half sit-up:
- First, sit up straight with your knees bent and your feet placed on the ground directly in front of you.
- Then, slowly lower your upper body four to five inches away from your feet.
- Hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Return to the starting position. Repeat the exercise 10 times on each foot or a total of 20 reps.
To perform the beast with a shoulder tap:
- First, get on all fours, then hover your knees and shins slightly above the ground.
- Keep your knees and shins off the ground while tapping your right hand to your left shoulder and then placing it back on the floor.
- Repeat the tap on the other side.
- Do a total of 20 reps or ten on each side while keeping your knees and shins off the ground.
To do this exercise:
- First, place your hands and knees firmly on the ground.
- Then, lift your right arm directly in front of your body.
- Next, lift your left leg to parallel your hip to the mat.
- Once you are already steady, bend your raised arm to a 90-degree angle, then return to your original position.
- Repeat this motion ten times for each side or a total of 20 reps.
Here are some of the best ab accessories you can get on the market today:
- Perfect Fitness Ab Roller
- XMark Fitness Adjustable Decline Ab Workout Bench
- CAP Barbell Ab Trainer
- Bang Tong & Li Power Tower
- URBNFit Exercise Ball
- Tristar Products Ab Coaster MAX
- Synergee Core Sliders
- Marcy Adjustable Hyperextension Roman Chair
- Champion Sports Medicine Ball
- Sunny Health & Fitness Rowing Machine
These are only some of the ab workouts you can do to achieve your coveted six-pack abs. Strengthening your ab muscles can help improve your self-confidence and posture balance and can help avoid injuries.
Aside from doing these core exercises, it is also essential to perform other strength-building workouts. Having a strong core just isn’t built with an ab routine. It’s built with diet, rest, and of course, training the whole body.